Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wall

"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." Eph. 1:17-19

I ran across these verses recently and have been thinking about them ever since. In fact, I started praying these for myself because I'm seeing a real need for "wisdom and revelation" to know the Lord better.

Seems like every so often in this journey with God, I run into a brick wall. The wall is something I'm believing about God. It's not usually something I'm even aware of until circumstances throw it painfully in my face. Then there's no getting through until I face it, heart to heart with God.

It's not easy to honestly say things like, "You know what, Lord? The fact of the matter is I don't trust You with my kids because You didn't take good care of me when I was a little girl. So I'm afraid You won't take care of them. And even though You're asking me to trust You and surrender them to You, I'm really scared to do that and I don't want to."

Times like these are when I need that "Spirit of wisdom and revelation" and for the eyes of my heart to be enlightened. The amazing thing is that when I face that brick wall and ask for truth and a deeper understanding of Him, it's like God opens a gate for me to pass through. My questions don't always get answered, but I see Him. I see Him like I haven't seen Him before and that makes all the difference.

So here we are again, facing another wall. And I wait.

5 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

I've faced my share of walls, and I know how tall and thick they can seem. But I also know that with a little patience and a little trust, those walls can be knocked over and become roads to travel on.

Daveda said...

oh yes, we all have these walls. I have come to realize when I try to knock them down myself all I accomplish is exhausting myself. However, when I simply turn to Jesus and ask "could you please take this wall down for me, give me a revelation of your love for me in this area, help me to trust you." He does and brick by brick the walls come down.

I love this post, it something we all through, and it is nice to know you are not alone.

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Isn't it great when we find Scripture that speaks so directly to our weaknesses and challenges? It's a tough one, trusting God with our kids...so thankful that God understands!

KarenLana said...

May you have peace, faith and hope during the times when you might feel as if the wall will never come down, and great joy when it does.

Julie said...

You write beautifully. I loved this post.

I found you from Billy's blog. I'm glad I came by. I've enjoyed my visit.

I'd love to have you stop by if you'd like. I love meeting new people. It's nice to meet you...

Julie