Thursday, October 2, 2008

Backyard Symphony


The other day I was sipping coffee in my favorite chair, venting to God about -- well, lots of things. So He invited me to go outside to my backyard. I sat on the weathered picnic table in the mid-morning sunshine and continued with my complaints and worries. He said nothing, just sat there next to me, listening. After a while, I stopped talking and started to listen too.

That was when I noticed a sound that had been in the background while I was busy talking. It was the sound of hundreds of hidden cicadas playing a symphony. The music swelled and rose to a huge crescendo and then faded to almost quiet.

I thought they were done. But a small group on the left side of the yard continued playing. Soon they were joined by more until the sound filled the air with this amazing insect music. Occasionally, they were joined by a blackbird solo or the buzzing of a bee. The song rose and fell again and again.

I was completely fascinated. We both sat there listening to this beautiful concert of hidden musicians. I didn't see a single one, not even the bird. The only creature life I could see were a couple of butterflies chasing each other around the yard or the occasional lizard rustling through the grass. But even that sound seemed to fit in with the rest of the music as if it were planned.

Then it began to dawn on me how much enjoyment the Lord was getting from the music of His little creatures. He listens to them all the time and never gets tired of it. He pointed something out to me as we sat on that table. Every single one of those cicadas were simply being themselves. They weren't doing anything out of the ordinary, only what they were created to do. Each one by itself would still make amazing sounds. But when they all joined together, being themselves, living their lives to the fullest, the beauty of their symphony leaves you filled with awe and wonder.

I sat there for a little longer enjoying the music and reflecting on what He showed me. It was a lot to take in. I don't think I realized how much the Lord enjoys it when I'm being myself, especially with Him. But how much greater is His delight when His children are being themselves together, living freely in His love. To Him it's the most beautiful music in the world.

No comments: