Monday, October 19, 2009

In the wild

For several weeks now, the weather has been unseasonably hot. But this past weekend, things cooled down finally and Saturday was simply gorgeous. My kids and I drove out to a nearby state park to spend the afternoon enjoying nature.

It was a perfect day for a hike.


We were trying to be serious hikers,
but kept getting sidetracked with all the natural beauty around us.

We encountered a little more adventure than we anticipated.
This was the snake I stepped on.


Yeah, I stepped on a snake. (!!!!!) My daughter and I were walking along together, looking around, when suddenly she yelled, "Snake!" It was too late, I was already stepping on it. Miraculously, I stepped on its head. I jumped back and there it was in the middle of the trail, looking a little stunned. We backed away and took some photos. The snake lay there, poised to strike. We edged past it and headed back to the trail head where we discovered that it was most likely a pygmy rattlesnake -- not deadly, but certainly venomous.

About an hour later, it started to sink in that I STEPPED ON A RATTLESNAKE! I am so thankful for God's protection!

Reminds me of His promises, "If you make the Most High your dwelling -- even the LORD, who is my refuge -- then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. . . you will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent." Psalm 91:9-13.


1 comment:

Melissa G said...

Oh goodness! I HATE snakes! I'm glad you are ok!