Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rose

Outside my front door, five rose bushes grow. All last summer and fall I enjoyed the beautiful red and pink roses. Hardly a day went by without at least one rose in a vase on my kitchen table.

But from the last rose bush on the end, not a single rose grew. It had not bloomed once from the time it was planted. I watered it and fed it rose food, pruned it and covered it to protect it from the frost, just like all the rest. Sometimes I wondered if it was worth it because there was no sign it would bloom and maybe I should just pull it up and plant another one in its place.

Then a few days ago, I saw a most amazing sight. A tiny peachy pink bud was forming. I waited with anticipation for it to open. Then yesterday I picked it and as you can see, it's simply glorious! It has such a delicate, sweet fragrance. I think this has become my favorite of all my roses.

It's a reminder of God's promise to me. I do not yet have what I long for. It seems as if there is nothing happening, no sign of life, of fruit. But God is at work beneath the surface, and one day, I will see the beauty.

Today I ran across this poem by Amy Carmichael
in her book, "Rose from Brier".

Thou hast not that, My child, but thou hast Me.
And am I not alone enough for thee?
I know it all, know how thy heart was set
Upon this joy which is not given yet.

And well I know how through the wistful days
Thou walkest all the dear familiar ways,
As unregarded as a breath of air,
But there in love and longing, always there.

I know it all; but from thy brier shall blow
A rose for others. If it were not so,
I would have told thee. Come, then, say to Me,
My Lord, My Love, I am content with Thee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is so great.

I have a big problem with my blog, I have created a blog but I don't know how can I turn my blog to create money to me and how can I make my blog to be more attractive and decoration, to be honest I don't how to decorate it. Please help in anyway so that my blog can start generating money using my blog. Please! Please! Please!!!

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

That really IS gorgeous! Interesting that it took so long to bloom...that's a very touching poem. Sounds like a good book!