Monday, November 23, 2009

Unexpected

We took a roadtrip from Florida to Virginia, stopping in the Carolinas along the way. It is beautiful this time of year, with still plenty of fall color to delight the eyes.

Arriving in Virginia late last night, we were greeted by lots of smiling little faces as cousins reconnected and we all exclaimed how much everyone had grown. My sister and family live close to D.C., so the plan was to do plenty of sightseeing during our holiday week.

But things took an unexpected turn this morning when I fell down the stairs. (Yeah, me, a grown woman, falling down the stairs!!) As I lay moaning and groaning at the bottom in a heap, the first thought running through my head was, "But I wanted to see the White House!" My sister reassured me as she held my swelling ankle that I still would get to see it even if she has to push me around in a wheelchair. We'll be heading out soon to the doctor, but I want to take a moment and give thanks. It could have been a lot worse.

Giving thanks for these gifts:
  • warm winter coats
  • helpful little hands waiting on my every need
  • a sense of humor
  • crutches
  • good times with family
  • laughter and more laughter
  • medical care readily available
  • safety and protection on the road
  • brisk fall weather
  • being still with God

Not sure what the Lord has in mind for me this week. But I think I'll have more time than usual to listen.

"Be still and know that I am God." (somewhere in the Psalms)



holy experience

3 comments:

Anne said...

OH MY....well, I am glad you made it safely. will be praying for you and you ankle. Listen well :)
anne

Daveda said...

Hi, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you will join me over at Grace Talk With Daveda in Touched By The Fathers love. Please come on over and check it out!

Being Loved By Him, With You,
Daveda

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Okay, I can't believe you fell down the stairs!!! My goodness...but I'm glad you got (are getting?) in a good visit with family! That's always such a blessing, isn't it?! Happy Thanksgiving!