Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sampler

Doesn't this look delicious?? I love sampler platters. You get to taste such a variety of flavors, each one more delightful than the last. I've got a thing for variety. That's probably why I usually have several books going at once. Here's a sampler platter of what I'm reading right now:


"Terrify No More" by Gary Haugen.

It's a fascinating book about the International Justice Mission team and their undercover work to rescue children sold into slavery to the sex trade. Here's an excerpt,

"We are paralyzed in a poverty of hope because first, we underestimate the value of what God has given us to transform lives. Second, we underestimate the value of a single life. And third, we underestimate God's determination to rescue us from a trivial existence if we will just free up our hands and our hearts from unworthy distractions and apply them to matters that make a difference in someone's life."

2.
"With Christ in the School of Prayer" by Andrew Murray.

Not the most interesting of titles, but what a powerful book! The thing I love about Andrew Murray's books are that there is so much depth and truth that you have to read them slowly in order to think and ponder. I've been reading this one for several months because I usually read only a paragraph or two before I have to set it down and reflect. Here's a taste,

"The connection between faith in God and faith in His promise will become clear to us if we consider what faith really is. It is often compared to the hand or the mouth by which we take and use what is given to us. But it is important that we understand that faith is also the ear by which we hear what is promised and the eye by which we see what is offered. The power to take depends on this. I must hear the person who gives me the promise because the very tone of his voice gives me courage to believe. I must see him because the light of his face melts all my qualms about my right to take. The value of the promise depends on the promiser."


3.
"Loving Our Kids on Purpose - Making a Heart-to-Heart Connection" by Danny Silk.

I discovered this gem just recently. I've been praying for some insight and wisdom in parenting and this dropped into my lap. Not only is it giving me a lot to think about in the way I interact with my kids, but it's challenging my view of God as Father and the way He parents me. Here's a statement I'm pondering:

"I want to propose to you that freedom is a top priority in Heaven, because it is what makes relationships possible. Heaven's culture of relationships is vastly different than most everything we see on earth because God the Father is less interested in compliance and much more interested in love. This is the reason that He is trying to prepare us to live absolutely free lives in an environment of unlimited options more than trying to keep us from sin."

4.
"He Loves Me - Learning to Live in the Father's Affection" by Wayne Jacobsen.

The title pretty much says it all. This is the kind of book I wish I had a box of copies of that I could pass out to everyone I know. It's making a real difference in the way I interact with God. Here's an excerpt,

"Religion offers us the illusion of earning acceptance, but it is only a cheap substitute for the reality of life in him. God's desire is to engage us in a life-changing relationship. Thus, he demonstrated his love for us before we did anything to make ourselves worthy of it. By doing so, he wanted us to stop trying to earn it and just live in light of it."

And finally, lest you get the impression that I'm only interested in the deeper things of life, let me introduce you to my favorite romance writer of all time -- Georgette Heyer. I read my first Heyer book when I was 15 and promptly fell in love. I've read and reread nearly all of them. If you've never sampled one of her historical romances -- well, let me tell you, you are in for a treat!

5.
I'm currently laughing my way through "The Unknown Ajax". This is one of the cases where you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I don't think there's a swan in the entire book! There is, however, a great deal of wit, humor, adventure and just enough romance to delight any female heart. As one reviewer puts it, "Life is never dull in a Heyer story."



No comments: