Monday, March 14, 2011

Though the earth...


"God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth gives way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging."
Psalm 46:1-3

The images from Japan are mind-numbing.  It's overwhelming to see the complete devastation of cities, homes and lives.  I can't get out of my head the idea that just a few short days ago, people were going about their daily business unaware that deep underground, the earth was beginning to tremble and give way, that seas would rush in and destroy everything familiar, everything they held dear.

We think we have so much control -- we have none.  We are such helpless, fragile creatures held together by the One who made us and keep us breathing. It is sobering to remember that life could change in an instant.  

Today, I hold my loved ones close a little longer, breathe in the fresh spring breeze and thank God for His precious gifts...

276.  White daisies and fiery orange alstroemerias on my kitchen table
277.  The sound of my kids' laughter, enjoying their spring break
278.  A lovely Sunday afternoon spent canoeing with friends
279.  Zapata's Fire Roasted Salsa Verde with corn chips (can't get enough of it!)
280.  A soft bed to sleep in at the end of a long day.
281.  The satisfaction of a job well done
282.  Watching my kids make new friends
283.  Pandora.com
284.  Knowing I have been given all I need for today
285.  Hope that does not disappoint


My heart is heavy for the people of Japan.  God has His way of bringing incredible beauty and glory out of utter devastation.  I pray He will do this for them.


1 comment:

Craig said...

I clicked over from Ann’s Multitude Monday link.

It’s Friday and there are still more lists to read. Today I finally got to yours. And Amen we are tender and fragile – our whole planet is – and we’re just dots on it spinning in a violent universe – but then God :) And because we are made to create – and doing stuff is creating - my favorite from your list is 281. The satisfaction of a job well done

May God Bless and Keep you and all of yours this day