Monday, June 1, 2009

Colors

There are times when God seems to carve out a space for Himself in the busyness of the day. He pulls us aside for something different -- something special He wants to do or say.

This morning, He patiently overcame all the pressures of my to do list with His whisper, "Come, be with Me."

So I went, (not very graciously, I'm afraid.) He waited till my mind was finally quiet enough and then asked me to draw a picture of how I see myself. Hmmn, interesting request.

I grabbed some paper and my daughter's crayon box and began to draw. It's funny how, when you pick up a crayon, things inside that you haven't looked at in a while begin to come out. I won't share my drawing. It's a little sad.

But when I was done, He asked me to get another paper and draw how He sees me. I looked in the box, grabbed a crayon and began to color. One after another, color after color, with each new shade, He told me what it meant. I wrote the meaning on the back.

This is the picture.

I won't tell what He said -- it's too intimate. But as I colored and God whispered the meanings, some hurts that were hidden deep within, were touched with love and healed. Oh, the amazing beauty and tenderness of God! More than we can ever imagine.

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners." Isaiah 61:1