Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gaze

"The thing we look at is the thing we see." - Hannah Whitall Smith

In the busyness of the past week, my gaze has gradually become filled with lesser things. There is nothing inherently wrong with these things -- they are all worthy objects of attention. But inside, in my soul, this distracted gaze began to produce a restless emptiness and disastrous introspection until I found myself sinking in discouragement and doubt.

In kindness, the Lord spoke into my internal chaos with the gentle reminder that I wasn't looking at Him. Such simple truth, yet so profound! As long as He alone fills my gaze, my heart is at rest in quiet trust. Everything else falls into place.

"One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD, and to seek him in his temple." Psalm 27:4

No comments: